International Training Workshop on Marine Satellite Remote Sensing and Argo Monitoring Technologies (Sat-Argo)
Sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology, China and the State Key Laboratory of Satellite Ocean Environment Dynamics (SOED), Second Institute of Oceanography (SIO), China, “International training workshop on Marine Satellite Remote Sensing and Argo Monitoring Technologies (Sat-Argo)” will be held in Hangzhou, China during November 12-26, 2018.
Satellite remote sensing and Argo float array are the most effective technologies to acquire the real-time, long-term ocean data at both basin and global scales. Combination of these two measurements can provide three-dimensional marine information. Most ocean remote sensing and all Argo data are shared and free, thus they are accessible and helpful technologies for developing countries.
The objectives of this training workshop are: 1) to train researches and marine management staffs in marine satellite remote-sensing and Argo technologies to enhance their communication and interaction; 2) to assist developing countries in utilizing remote sensing and Argo data and the data processing and analysis techniques to monitor ocean environments.
The two-week training workshop activities are listed as the following (the workshop agenda can be found in the appendix):
1) Principles of marine satellite remote sensing;
2) Satellite data processing and algorithm development;
3) Introduction of the International Argo Project and Biogeochemical-Argo Project;
4) The principles, data receiving and processing, and related quality control methods of Argo floats;
5) Applications of satellite and Argo observation in marine science and management.
1) Data downloading, processing and basic application of satellite data and Argo data;
2) Data accessing and processing from SOED Satellite Data Sharing Center and China Argo Real-time Data Center;
3) Practices on the SatCO2 software developed by SOED (see appendix for detail);
4) Practices on Argo floats usage in the laboratory and field experiments;
All trainees are invited to participate in the 3rd “Ocean Carbon from Space (SatCO2): Joint Science Workshop and Training”, will be held in Hangzhou, China during November 23-25, 2018 to enhance trainees’ understanding on the application of satellite remote sensing and Argo technologies. It will focus on up-to-date multi-disciplinary researches on ocean carbon cycle and ocean acidification.
1) Trainees representatives from various countries introduce current conditions and demands of ocean observation and research in their own countries;
2) Q & A on training workshop and related issues;
3) Discussions and feedbacks.
Marine scientists and marine management staffs interested in satellite remote sensing and Argo monitoring technologies from developing countries are cordially invited to apply for the workshop. The training workshop will recruit 20 participants. We provide the local accommodation. In principal, participants should cover their own travel fee. We will offer financial support for few participants, which are subject to a well-justified application. If you are interested in attending the training workshop, please complete the application form, and submit it with your CV to Ms. Jinyi Rao (email@example.com) via email before September 10, 2018.
The steering committee will review the applications and inform you with the result no later than September 15, 2018.
For any further information, please contact Ms. Jinyi Rao (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Please click the link to download the application form:
2. Please click the link to download the Agenda: